Tuesday, October 11, 2011

What to eat when eating out!

Every diet is different, keep that in mind. MY diet is low calorie, low carb, high protein, low fat, exercise, moderation, etc. So, my diet isn't necessarily "low sodium". These are just the foods I choose when eating out. I DON'T eat salads to lose weight! I do eat a salad when eating out, on the side, NOT AS A MEAL. I will be adding to this particular blog as I think of other places I have eaten at. If YOU have a question about a certain place, comment on this blog, email me, text me or facebook message me. I'll help if I can.

When eating out, I try to check online for a menu BEFORE we go so I can get an idea before I get there. Also, online they sometimes have the nutritional values available! If you decide on the fly and don't have time to look online, ask if they have a nutritional value guide (almost all fast food places have these available). Cheddar's is one place we can't get any info on, so I had to decipher the menu myself. Ask your server, but if they don't know what's healthy and what's not they aren't going to be much help.

Cheddar's: You can get the grilled catfish, any of the grilled chicken options,or  the pick 2 lunch special with baked potato (no cheese, no bacon) and salad ordered the way I lined out below! On the sides, you are limited to the salad, the baked potato (again, no cheese, no bacon), and steamed broccoli (I ask them to "extra steam" it because I like mine soft. This makes the broccoli less nutritious, but it's the only way I'll eat it! The carrots are cooked in sugar and butter, the green beans are cooked in butter, the broccoli rice casserole has rice and cheese, 2 no no's on this diet, the red beans and rice have rice and sausage, and the corn is a no no on this diet. I cran't remember all the other sides, but I eat there enough to know those are the only choices. I WISH they had sweet potatoes! For my meal I like to get the Key West Chicken and Shrimp (I think) without the seasoned rice and no bourbon sauce. It is a grilled chicken breast, 5 or 6 grilled shrimp (ask for no bourbon sauce) served over a bed of seasoned rice (ask for no seasoned rice) with a pineapple salsa on top! I get the salad (don't eat the croissant!) with dressing on the side, extra carrots and tomatoes and steamed broccoli, extra steamed!

Olive Garden and Johnny Carino's both have this! FYI, about the only option you have at either of those place is Whole wheat pasta at olive garden with marinara or meat sauce. Marinara will have the least calories and fat, but there's no protein. The meat sauce has italian sausage and that is gonna fatten it up a bit, but if you are gonna eat there, that's about the only choice you have. Johnny Carino's, the last time I checked did NOT have a whole wheat pasta yet, so stick with the marina or meat sauce and pick any of the pastas. They are basically the same, since pasta is pasta unless it's whole wheat!


Salads: NEVER order the Ceasar salad. That's THE most fattening salad out there. It is drowned in dressing. Order your salad with the dressing ON THE SIDE (preferably fat free or light option). Dip each bite gently into the salad, but don't DUNK it in the salad. Ask for no cheese, no croutons, and extra veggies (carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, etc). Drink your whole glass of water (with lemon and make sure you squeeze that lemon juice into your water!) BEFORE your meal comes! This way you are already on your way to "being full". If you do eat a salad as a meal, make healthy choices. Add some protein to the salad. Add GRILLED chicken or GRILLED shrimp. Do NOT add fried chicken tenders or friend shrimp. By adding protein, you will stay full longer, fending off the possibility of getting the munchies later! If you eat a salad for lunch with just veggies, you will be hungry very soon. Try adding some tuna fish to the salad, or have a tunafish sandwich along with your salad!

Pizza placed: NO BUFFETS! At pizza places, order ONE slice of pizza. If they have a "supreme" option, that's what you want, but ask for them to ONLY put Canadian Bacon on it as far as meats go. That's the leanest meat topping as far as pizza toppings go. This is true for breakfast meats as well. I choose canadian bacon over regular bacon, turkey bacon, or any kind of sausage. You can eat quite a few pieces of canadian bacon compared to ONE piece of anything else! You can't avoid cheese on a pizza, which is why I am limiting you to one slice. The goal is to get the one meat and load that sucker up with allllll the veggies you like! I get Canadian bacon with green bell peppers, onions, black olives, green olives, mushrooms, and jalapenos!

Mexican.......Mexican..............Mexican! My nemesis!
Ok, this gets tricky! If you want to eat 100% as well as you can at a mexican place:
   a. Ask if there are any "light" options on the menu
   b. Ask that NO CHIPS be brought to the table! Explain that you are dieting and don't need the temptation. Ask them to bring you soft corn tortillas (NO FLOUR TORTILLAS) instead. Limit yourself to 3 of these and dip them slowly into the salsa......NOT THE BUTTER!
   c. If there is a light option decide if it's good enough. Usually it's a piece of grilled chicken, small salad, and bean soup. If there is no option, ask specifically if they can make you a plate like that. Eat your meal and give yourself a pat on the back for being stellar! I did this for 2 months straight! I didn't even have a margarita!
   d. If they don't have light options, then you pretty much have to get the fajitas. CHICKEN or SHRIMP, not BEEF. Ask that it be served with more SOFT CORN tortillas instead of soft flour tortillas. You can have all the fajita veggies and the chicken so enjoy! Try not to eat more than 3 more tortillas. You can add salsa if you want or pico de gallo. Guacamole is a healthy fat, just don't eat the whole giant scoop. Just one little spoonful per fajita is all you need. NO SOUR CREAM NO CHEESE!


3 comments:

  1. your so strong, i have to eat 2 or 3 slices... I am proud of myself at Jalapeno Tree the other night I had no chips and salsa.. I was sooooo happy with myself... What do you think about Carb Cycling? it was on Dr Oz yesterday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know anything about carb cycling. I do know our body needs carbs, but you have to feed it the right carbs. I avoid white bread, white tortillas, white pasta, white rice, etc. I do eat carbs in whole wheat form though. I also eat them in fruits and veggies, just not the high starch ones such as white potatoes and corn. I have tried to eliminate carbs almost completely............I was successful, but let's just say "some carbs are necessary to have good bowel movements" lol private message me if you don't understand that comment! I'll research Dr. Oz's Carb Cycling and see what it says.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, the carb cycling............No, I am not a proponent of that. For one thing, if you avoid the bad foods all the time while losing weight, you will eventually lose the weight THEN you can eat what you want every now and then. I still watch what I eat, but now I get to have a margarita (but I eat healthy those days), have fried chicken tenders (but no margarita and eat healthy that day otherwise), have ice cream but I get the no sugar added frozen yogurt at Braum's!

    I DID use a percentage basis when planning my meals when I was doing everything 100% (before I met my 1st goal). I just haven't mentioned it yet! I think (know) it's a little confusing and I didn't want to overwhelm anyone. But for anyone that wants to go full steam ahead 100% I'm glad to share that extra info with them!

    I ate 30% protein 20% fat, and 50% carbs. Those carbs were all healthy carbs though. No fried foods, water only, loads of veggies, no butter, watch the salt, lots of grilling and pan cooking, steaming, no potatoes, no cheese unless fat free, no dressings unless fat free, no sauces (watch out for hidden sugars in bbq sauce, ketchup, marinades, etc). I started with a low carb almost no carb diet. Like I mentioned earlier, carbs are necessary to "clean out your system" so to speak. I didn't like being constipated lol.

    ReplyDelete